Outpatient Massage Therapy Program
Flagstaff Medical Center is one of a growing number of hospitals recognizing the healing benefits of Massage Therapy. As the public and medical community seek a more patient-centered approach toward healthcare, conventional medicine and complementary practices can combine to benefit patients in many ways.
“In all the studies, we get reduced anxiety levels, reduced depression and reduced cortisol levels which are an index of stress.”
-- Tiffany Field PhD., director of the Touch Research Institute (TRI)
Therapeutic massage is available for all community residents, as well as families, employees and volunteers at Flagstaff Medical Center.
In addition to creating an overall sense of well-being, massage therapy releases muscle tension and facilitates the removal of toxic metabolic waste products, allowing more oxygen and nutrients to reach body cells and tissues. Massage therapy is accompanied by the release of natural pain killers (serotonin) and natural killer cells, enhancing immune function.
Conditions which may benefit from massage include (but are not limited to):
- Arthralgia Depression/Anxiety
- Chronic pain Fibromyalgia
- Constipation Headache
- Muscle Spasms Musculoskeletal pain
- Bursitis Sciatica
- Circulatory Problems
- Tension: physical, mental or emotional
Massage Therapy can be an excellent way to help maintain your health as well as complement other therapies you may be receiving. The benefits of therapeutic massage have been well researched and documented.
- Decrease in muscular pain (releases natural pain killers e.g. serotonin)
- Lowers heart rate, blood pressure and stress levels
- Improves muscle tone
- Prevents/delays muscular atrophy resulting from forced inactivity
- Promotes circulation of blood/lymph
- Increases joint mobility & flexibility
- Enhances immune function (releases natural killer cells)
- Facilitates the removal of toxic metabolic waste products
In addition to the overall physical well-being that you receive from Massage Therapy, there also are mental and emotional benefits.
- Relaxed state of alertness
- Reduced mental stress and a calmer mind
- Increased capacity for clearer thinking
- Enhanced self-image
Cost for services:
One hour - $60
Half hour - $32