Cardiac Catheterization Lab
Diagnostic and interventional coronary and peripheral arterial procedures, and pacemaker insertions are performed in the Cardiac Cath Labs.
The Cardiac Cath Lab team consists of board-certified cardiologists, specialty trained nurses, and radiologic technicians. The same staff members care for patients before and during a procedure. The staff is committed to working cooperatively with the patient and the family to provide individualized care.
During an emergency outside the hospital, interventional cardiologists work closely with a team of specially trained staff and local EMS personnel to ensure rapid response protocols are followed. When a heart attack is identified by EMS personnel prior to hospital arrival, the patient can be taken directly to the Cardiac Cath Lab for emergency intervention, decreasing the door-to-procedure time. The quicker the affected artery is unclogged, the more heart muscle is saved.
- Diagnostic procedures are used to assess and diagnose patients for disease.
- Balloon angioplasty, stent placement and other devices are designed to treat disease.
- Peripheral vascular interventional procedures are used to evaluate and treat diseased blood vessels outside the heart.
During a cardiac catheterization procedure, a physician guides a thin plastic tube called a catheter through an artery in the arm or leg into the affected artery in the heart or other major artery. Dye is injected through the catheter into the arteries. This test can measure blood pressure and how much oxygen is in the blood, and detect any blockages which may need to be repaired through interventional means. Procedures include:
- Diagnostic heart catheterization
- Percutaneous coronary angioplasty (PTCA)
- Coronary artery stent placement
- Direct angioplasty for treatment of acute myocardial infarction
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Intra-aortic balloon pump
- Pacemaker placement
- Procedural education
- Diagnostic peripheral vascular catheterization
- Percutaneous peripheral vascular intervention (stent placement, angioplasty, limb salvage)