Insurance and Costs
Contact your insurance company
Prior to surgery, you will need to contact your insurance company to find out if a preauthorization, a pre-certification, a second opinion or a referral form is required. It is important to verify these details prior to scheduling surgery; failure to do so may result in a reduction of benefits or a delay of surgery.
Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) members will need to go through the same registration procedure. However, it is necessary to call the HMO once surgery has been scheduled to arrange for pre-admission lab studies that must be completed.
When a patient does not have insurance, it is necessary to discuss payment arrangements with the Pre-registration staff when they call to schedule surgery.
After surgery has been scheduled, a preadmission appointment will be set at the hospital. Patients need to have the following information for this appointment:
- Patient’s full legal name and address, including county
- Home and/or cell phone number
- Marital status
- Social Security number
- Name of insurance holder, address, phone number, work address and work phone number
- Name of insurance company, mailing address, policy and group numbers, and insurance card
- Patient’s occupation; Employer's name, address and phone number
- Name, address and phone number of nearest relative
- Name, address and phone number of someone to notify in case of emergency (this can be the same as the nearest relative)
- Insurance card, driver’s license or photo I.D. and any co-payment required by the insurance company
Billing for Services
After the procedure, the patient will receive separate bills from the hospital, surgeon, surgical assistant, anesthesiologist, radiology and pathology departments (if applicable) and physical therapy. If an insurance carrier has specific requirements regarding participation status, please contact the carrier.
Billing Questions for FMC
For billing questions related to FMC charges, call the Central Business Office at 928 773-2030 or toll-free at 800 577-4136.