Thank you for considering Flagstaff Medical Center's Spine and Joint Surgery Center for your back or neck surgery.
Our program includes a comprehensive planned course of treatment to assist patients in restoring independence to healthy lives.
Our spine patients stay in a dedicated unit within the hospital and receive specialized care specific to their back or neck surgery. Patients will be given a guidebook with daily newsletters outlining important information about their hospital stay. Occupational and physical therapists are on staff to help with post surgical exercises and therapy. Friends and family members are asked to serve as “coaches” and participate in the recovery process. Also, patients are invited to take part in post-discharge care programs such as the Reunion Tea and Body Mechanics Refresher Course.
Our team of specially trained professionals who care for patients in the center, have adopted a "wellness model." We want to assist each patient in achieving the best outcome in a timely manner. We strongly believe the patient plays an important role in their recovery after surgery. We equip each patient with the necessary tools for recovery in a specialized, safe and friendly environment. All questions and concerns are addressed with courtesy and respect.
What features makes the Spine and Joint Surgery Center unique?
- Pre-surgery Education DVD and Patient Guidebook: The pre-surgery education DVD and guidebook are vital and patients who watch the DVD and read the guidebook have had good experiences with their surgeries and recovery. The DVD and the guidebook inform patients about what to expect before surgery, during their hospital stay and after surgery. This DVD and guidebook will be mailed to your home or will be available for pickup during your pre-op appointment.
- Patient Involvement: The center has a comprehensive planned course of treatment for each patient. We believe the patient plays a key role in a successful recovery. Our goal is to involve each patient and their coach in each step of the program.
- Individual Treatment Plans: Every detail, from pre-operative education to post-operative exercise, is considered and reviewed with the patient. Individual treatment programs are overseen by a physical therapist and your surgeon.
- Patient Coach: The patient’s family member or “coach” may be present throughout the patient's hospital stay and helps motivate for a faster recovery. As part of our program, patients are able to share their recovery experience with others who are undergoing the same life-changing event.
- Spine-surgery patients are not sick: The center emphasizes a healthy outlook throughout the entire surgical experience. We don't consider spine-surgery patients as sick; rather they need a procedure to help achieve their lifestyle goals.
- Healthcare Team: The healthcare team includes physicians, physicians assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, patient care and orthopedic technicians - all specializing in spine and joint care.
- Body Mechanics Refresher Course and Reunion Tea: All patients are invited to return for a reunion tea with former patients and coaches, and a special class to teach them how to care for their neck and back.
- Patient Safety: FMC is committed to keeping our surgical infection rates at or below national averages. To help meet this goal, the Spine and Joint Surgery Center is a “clean unit.” This means patients who have an infection cannot be on the unit. Additionally, all team members are trained to do their part in reducing the risk of infection.