Safe Snow Play
Break down of last January’s 192 “Snow Play” Injuries
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers the following safety advice:
• Use sleds that you can steer rather than snow discs.
• Sled only where the bottom of the hill is away from motor traffic.
• Watch out for trees and snow-covered hazards.
• Don't ride flat. Sit up and face forward.
• Wear a bike helmet and mouth guard.
• Climb back up the hill on the side of the sled run, not in the middle where you may be hit by another sled.
• Don't ride sleds onto water hazards, such as rivers or streams with thin ice.
• Avoid jumps and landings that provide axial loading of the spine column.