The Breastfeeding Center
Breastfeeding: Best for your baby and best for you! Many women who start to breastfeed their newborns stop earlier than they wish because of problems. Most of these problems can be avoided or managed, and once resolved, most mothers find breastfeeding successful and satisfying.
Flagstaff Medical Center’s Breastfeeding Center (BFC) can help prevent and solve breastfeeding problems. It also provides an environment that encourages and supports breastfeeding families.
Breastfeeding should be relaxing and enjoyable. However, for various reasons, things may not go smoothly leading to common problems. Breastfeeding problems may seem overwhelming. However, they are usually overcome with prompt expert help and assistance.
Benefits of breastfeeding
- Breastfed babies need fewer medical visits
- Breastfed babies have fewer colds, ear infections, diarrhea and fewer allergies
- Breastfeeding reduces the cost of infant care by more than $100 per month
- Breastfeeding helps reduce healthcare costs because both moms and babies are healthier
- Breastfeeding protects the environment by using less precious resources
The BFC can help you with problems such as:
- Sore nipples
- Painful breasts
- Slow weight gain/weight loss
- Fussy, gassy babies
- Poor latch on
- Breast and nipple infections
The Breastfeeding Center provides support, information and instruction to new moms and their partners and family members.
The center can assist in the following instances:
- Flat or inverted nipples
- Tongue-tie or other oral problems
- Twins or triplets
- Premature or sick infant
- Congenital problems
- Jaundiced infant
- History of breast surgery
- Medications questions
- Insufficient milk supply
- Breastfeeding when mom and baby are separated
A lactation consultant can suggest different methods to help make breastfeeding more successful. Several breastfeeding supplies are available including:
- Supplemental nursing systems for infants with suck difficulties and/or poor weight gain
- Breast shells for inverted or sore nipples
- Breast pumps
- Breastfeeding pillows
To help moms and families have an enjoyable breastfeeding experience, many services are available through the Breastfeeding Center including:
- Lactation consultants with expertise to solve breastfeeding problems
- Information, support and encouragement for parents
- Rentals on breast pumps and other supplies
- Resources for mothers on breastfeeding issues
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes
For more information about the Breastfeeding Center and our services, or to make an appointment, call 928 773-2605.
The Breastfeeding Center is located on the third floor of FMC’s Women and Infants' Center.
The center is open from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m., seven days a week.